The department has seminars that run regularly, and a bi-weekly colloquium featuring guest speakers from top national institutions. The departmental colloquium meets on Fridays at 4:00pm with refreshments beforehand in the Ritter Hall Lobby.
Research groups in the department:
- Topology: An emphasis on the topology of 3-dimensional manifolds. Areas of specialty include hyperbolic 3-manifolds, knot theory, and foliations.
- Algebra: People with interests in number theory, group theory, representation theory, ring theory, finite dimensional algebras, and algebraic geometry.
- Analysis: Wavelets, Banach spaces, analytic functions, Lie group representations, and analysis on symmetric spaces.
- Differential Geometry: Hyperbolic and Lorentzian geometry, rank one Lie Groups, and relativity.
- Statistics: Bioinformatics, machine learning, model checking, and changepoint detection.